Sunday 30 October 2011


Masala Beans with Fenugreek.

This recipe is another one that used to be a favourite with our family but which has not had much airing in the past few years.  Again, I do not know why.  It is easy, has great flavours and is easily modified for "burn" intensity.  It comes from  book called "Hot and Spicy Cook Book"  which I bought cheap in a book sale (as one does!)  It was edited by Linda Fraser, so "Thanks, Linda"!

Serves 4.
Ingredients


1 onion
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp chilli powder (room to play with this. It is quite hot and I use a bit less.)
1/2 tsp garlic pulp (here I use a bit more)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tomato, quartered
225 grams French beans (or any available green beans)
1 bunch fresh fenugreek leaves (no stems)
4 tbsp chopped, fresh coriander

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or lime)

Method

·         Roughly chop the onion.
·         In a bowl, place all the spices, salt and garlic.  Add the onion and mix well.
·         Blend for around 45 seconds. ( I use a stick (immersion) blender, but you
could use a standard blender or food processor if yours will take a small
quantity of ingredients)

·         In a medium saucepan heat the oil and fry the spice mixture for about
5 minutes, stirring it from time to time.
Beans, tomato, coriander and spice mix
·         Add the quartered tomato, beans, fenugreek and coriander.

·         Stir fry for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle over the lemon juice and serve
immediately.


Notes

·         About the beans.  This leaves the beans really crunchy.  I mean almost raw! This is fine,
maybe,  if the beans have just been picked, or if you like the taste of raw beans.
I don't mind chomping on the odd  bean I have just picked off the vine, but in a recipe like this, I prefer a bit more softness and a more  "cooked" flavour.
So - I steam my beans for a few minutes first, taking them from the steamer  while they are still  "al dente"  and then I continue with the stir frying.  It's up to you.

·         Fresh fenugreek is not always available, so use 1 tsp seeds instead. If I do this, I add the seeds to the spice mix before processing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment