Friday 9 December 2011

I'm Being Forced to Buy New Tools for My Kitchen!



Work has rather been on the back burner, recently.  We have our house on the market and if anything is designed to destroy a routine, this is it!  We are selling because we intend to move to the UK on a permanent basis.  Of course, this decision has generated several problems, not the least of which is 'what do we take with us?'  Should we sell everything and replace it there, or should we pack everything up and take it with us? (See more on mosstravel)

Our wonderful big Electrolux fridge will never fit into the sort of kitchen we will be able to afford in the UK, so that must stay!  Washing machine and dryer also.  We actually have a brand new Magimix  food processor still boxed - never opened - that we will certainly take.  Also a Rice Cooker in the same state.  I guess M  and I will have a few 'full and frank' discussions about smaller stuff.  My wooden spurtles and my stick blender are a definite 'yes', while all his top-quality knives and frying pans will qualify too.  As to my stand mixer, blenders, pots and pans and small items like rolling pins, cook-ware and bakeware etc., they have all given great service over the years and really could do with being replaced.  Oh, the memories, though - can I bear to part with them?  My Polaris copper-bottomed,stainless steel saucepans were a wedding present 30-odd years ago. I used all my bake tins when I cooked in our cafe and what about all my Pyrex bowls and measuring jugs?   They are still fit for service, if a bit battered and could definitely  tell a story or two!   I guess the decisions will have to be made as we make progress with the packing!


Oh - almost forgot, all the cook books and magazines will go, of course, along with all the scrappy bits of paper with notes and odd recipes on.  Each is a special memory in the hand-writing of friends and family often long gone and not to be wilfully discarded, even if the recipe is rubbish!  

At this moment, we think we will sell as much as possible and just take personal stuff and few special, small pieces of furniture, but this could well change.  There is not much money in second hand furniture at the moment!  On the other hand, how exciting would it be to start afresh and Shop! Shop! Shop! in those beautiful English stores. 
And think of the revues, I will be able to read and write!


No comments:

Post a Comment