Tuesday 4 October 2011

Tomatoes and Oysters

The most frustrating  thing about this whole operation right now is the length of time it takes me to do anything.  So - I am just going to write a bit of low-tech script with no special effects.  I must say though, that I am discovering that designing  the banners and playing around with the dancing bits and pieces is a lot of fun!
This weekend has been pretty awful as far as weather is concerned.  The spring seems to have disappeared, so we have ditched the early summer salads and retreated to soup and toast again, while watching the rugby.  I never thought I would be able to enjoy so many games in such a short space of time.  I must admit, the excitement surrounding the World Cup is quite infectious!
Last night, in celebration of Tonga beating France, I indulged in a dozen plump Pacific oysters and spent the night rather regretting it.  I think that a half-dozen is probably enough as they are very rich, with a somewhat flabby texture.  (Those who like it, call it creamy). They have plenty of flavour,  but they lack the clean crispness both texture and taste of *Bluff oysters.  I realise this is a purely subjective evaluation, but I have felt the same since Bluff oysters lost their default position in  fish shops and super-markets far too many years ago - a sad day for all oyster lovers, I think.

At last we can afford tomatoes again, too. They went up to $15.00 a kilo in our shops over the winter and we suffered withdrawals for quite a few weeks.  Back to $5.00 now, on the truss and not a bad flavour if allowed to ripen gradually outside of the fridge.  I like to slow- roast a large dish of them and keep them in the fridge for dipping into. Sort of a vegetarian version of "cut and come again".

*Bluff Oysters are traditionally gathered from the Southernmost tip of the South Island of New Zealand. They are, without doubt, the best oysters in the world, as any New Zealander will affirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment